Connecticut Auto Insurance
Finding affordable automobile coverage is best done by obtaining multiple quotes from various insurers and completing a comparison among them. The law makes for coverage to be mandatory and the Connecticut Insurance Department (CID) suggests to simply "shop around" to find the lowest rates.
Getting the rates of multiple insurers can be the most effective way to save on protection. But contacting various companies and obtaining their pricing individually can be extremely time-consuming and sometimes frustrating. With the help of the Internet, consumers can have quotations from reputable companies delivered to them within minutes.
Save Money on Connecticut Car InsuranceA consumer's main goal is to reduce the cost of their premium and keep some of their hard earned money in their pocket. Here are a few tips to do just that:
- Keep a clean driving history. Drive safely and always obey traffic laws, because violations and citations increase rates. Accidents can raise a premium substantially; but if the policyholder is not at fault, this may not apply, which makes obeying the rules of the road that much more important.
- Compare multiple types of coverage. Dropping comprehensive and collision on cars with low value will reduce costs, but policyholders should only do so if the vehicle's not financed. Before doing so, be sure to understand that the funds for any repairs or the replacement of the vehicle will have to come out of pocket.
- Consider raising deductibles. The amount of the deductible affects the premium. The higher the deductible, the lower the premium, and vice versa. Keep in mind that this is the amount that would need to be paid at the time of filing a claim. Don't choose an amount that's unaffordable.
- Before purchasing new vehicles, it may be wise to first obtain rates from various providers. Prices can vary quite a bit when it comes to the type of vehicle being insured. Car buyers would hate to have a new vehicle payment and find out that they would almost have to pay a similar amount to insure it.
- Be sure to take advantage of any discounts that an insurer may offer. Some of the most common include:
- Good driver
- Good student
- Safety features (air bags, automatic seatbelts, etc.)
- Safe-driving course
- Anti-theft devices
- Low annual mileage
Following these methods are very helpful in obtaining cheap CT car insurance premiums, but the most important part is to comparison shop. Getting quotes is free, and one should take the time to effectively compare policy providers and their rates.
Connecticut Auto Insurance LawsIf a motorist intends to operate a vehicle on the roadways, the Connecticut car insurance laws state that there are a few types of coverage that must be in place in order to do so legally. This includes liability which consists of two parts (bodily injury and property damage) and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. The minimum limits required are as follows:
- $20,000 for bodily injury to one person
- $40,000 for bodily injury to two or more people
- $10,000 for property damage
- $20,000 per person
- $40,000 per accident
Uninsured and underinsured policies cover injury to policyholders, their relatives, and passengers if injured in an accident where the other party does not carry a policy, has limits that are not equal to the insured's, or if is a hit-and-run driver. It is advisable to consider comparing CT car insurance with the inclusion of medical payments coverage, which will provide for medical expenses, lost wages, and funeral expenses resulting from a traffic accident.