South Carolina Auto Insurance Online
"The most important thing for a consumer to do is to shop around for auto insurance."
(Source: South Carolina Department of Insurance)
What will I be asked when getting SC Auto Insurance Quotes? You will need to have available the following information:
- Vehicle data including year, make, model and type of use
- Driver data (License numbers are not required but recommended for a more accurate quote.)
- Coverage desired, including deductibles if requesting comprehensive and collision coverage
- Prior policy information
The SC car insurance laws in force require drivers to insure their vehicles with at least liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Although little coverage is required by law, drivers should quote additional coverage in order to determine if the rates for more extensive protection are affordable. Shoppers will be surprised to find out that some add-ons are quite inexpensive.
|South Carolina Auto Insurance Law - Minimum Required Coverage|
|Liability Coverage||Bodily Injury||Per Person:||$25,000||Pays other parties' injuries, up to the policy limits, that the policyholder is found liable for.|
|Property Damage||Per Accident||$25,000||Pays for property damage the policyholder is found liable for, up to the policy limits.|
|Uninsured Motorist Coverage||Bodily Injury||Per Person:||$25,000||For those considered insured, it pays for medical expenses resulting from a traffic accident caused by another driver who lacks a policy.|
The state will allow drivers to legally drive their vehicles uninsured by paying a $550 fee to the Department of Public Safety; however, this is not recommended because it leaves drivers liable for any medical bills and property damage that they cause an automobile accident. It may be wise to compare South Carolina auto insurance to see if affordable policies can be found.
How to Get Cheap Car Insurance in SC
- Compare rates from multiple companies
- Obey traffic laws to avoid getting violations on your driving record. If you already have some, avoid getting new ones and your record will clear over time
- Be sure to provide information that will bring discounts, such as being a good student, completing driver courses, having a college degree, having car alarms and low-jack, having low vehicle usage, and being a non-smoker
- Consider higher comprehensive and collision deductibles
- Check the rates for coverage of a vehicle prior to purchasing it in order to make sure insuring it is within budget
- If there are multiple vehicles, insure them on the same policy in order to get a multi-vehicle discount
- If married, providing proof of marriage will often lower your rates
- Pay premiums up front in order to get a paid-in-full discount.
The department of insurance provides South Carolina auto insurance facts designed to help residents become more informed and educated about automobile coverage. Motorists may also visit our learning center in order to learn more details on policies and to get additional tips.