Kansas state flag

When a resident purchases a personal auto insurance policy in the Sunflower State there are certain minimum requirements that must be met to ensure that vehicle owners are adequately covered. Generally this required amount of protection can be broken down into three main parts: liability coverage, personal injury protection, and uninsured/underinsured bodily injury protection. To be considered properly insured a motorist must then meet specific policy limits within each category. Drivers must carry bodily injury liability coverage with limits of $25,000 for a single person involved in an accident and $50,000 for per accident, in addition to $10,000 for property damage.

Drivers must also carry uninsured/underinsured bodily injury protection with limits of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident, but it's important to note that this does not include property damage caused by motorists with insufficient amounts of vehicle protection. Residents are also required to carry personal injury protection (PIP), commonly known as Kansas no-fault, which is designed to cover a variety of injuries and medical expenses sustained by the policyholder, their family, or other passengers occupying the automobile during a traffic accident. This is typically broken down into several smaller categories:

  • $4,500 per person for necessary medical expenses
  • $900 per month for a year to cover disability or loss of income
  • $25 a day for in-home services
  • $2,000 for potential funeral costs, including burial or cremation
  • $4,500 for rehabilitation expenses
  • $900 a month for a year for disability and loss-of-income survivor benefits
  • $25 a day, up to a year, for survivor benefits

By choosing to operate a motor vehicle without the required levels of Kansas auto insurance a motorist may be risking more than just out-of-pocket repairs and medical expenses if at-fault for an accident, but also a number of serious consequences from the state. If a motorist is unable to provide proof of coverage when required, the driver in question typically has 30 days to demonstrate that they have met state financial responsibility requirements or face potential fines and the possibility of having driving privileges and vehicle registration suspended. If an uninsured motorist is involved in an accident, however, they may face additional fines and could end up having the registrations of all of their vehicles suspended in addition to loss of driving privileges, or even greater consequences depending on the situation.

United States flag shaped as Kansas

In addition to the previously listed consequences, according to "No Pay, No Play" laws passed in May of 2011, motorists without adequate coverage are also limited on their ability to file lawsuits after an accident. These laws prevent intoxicated or uninsured motorists from suing other individuals for non-economic damages after being involved in a serious accident. They may, however, still sue for damage related expenses such as hospital bills or property repairs, but not for such things as pain and suffering. To avoid many of the listed consequences and avoid such limitations, residents are encouraged to purchase a vehicle protection plan that not only meets state requirements, but also provides enough coverage to meet a motorist's specific needs.